Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Three Reasons Why I Loathe Jeopardy!: Tournament of Champions

1). This probably goes without saying, but the questions are hard. And not only are they hard, but the contestants know the answers. Which makes me feel stupid. And I don't like that.

2) The contestants are downright spazzy. They're awkward. They always botch up the "get to know you" segment with unfunny stories and stilted deliveries. They talk over Alex when he's being "funny". Not that I'm for the placing of less intelligent contestants on the show, but come on, a little charisma never hurt anything.

3) The contestants always go out of order. This is probably the number one problem I have. I have watched Jeopardy! just enough in my lifetime to instinctively prepare myself for an ascending level of difficulty in a given category. $200 in World Capitals? Probably going to be Paris. $600? I'm going with Warsaw or Beirut. $1000? I probably don't know it because the answer has something to do with Moldova or the Seychelles. But the contestants in the Tournament of Champions are good at psyching each other out (and the audience) by going all over the place, usually in search of the Daily Double. My mind just cannot handle it. If I were on the show, I would be vaporized into a pile of ash complete with the plonk plonk sound of my eyeballs falling to the ground.

I will, however, not be complaining as long as I am not forced to sit through (a) Celebrity Jeopardy! or (b) any version of Jeopardy! featuring children, high school students, or college students.

No comments: