Monday, May 01, 2006

Stick It? Fuck it.

Woo. I can check off my second movie (the first being Scary Movie 4) from my Spring/Summer Movie Shame-fest now that I have seen Stick It.

My best piece of advice: don't go in expecting all the campy fun of Bring It On because you will be disappointed. Stick It is not a good film, really in any sense, and it's disappointingly not funny a lot of the time. The film seems confused as to who the antagonist is (We're told to hate the bitchy gymnast girl, then the other bitchy gymnast girl, then the judges? Wuh?) and the story is too all-over-the-place to make us feel any sympathy for the main character.

Though the opening credits are quite fun and flashy, and the soundtrack offers some good music including two songs from one of my longtime favorite acts Fannypack. Stick It also has some cool effects going on that, coupled with the music, make for some entertaining segments. The bitchy banter among the gymnasts though is so, so underused, so when it does happen it's pretty damn funny. We're instead forced to focus on grizzled Jeff Bridges doing the whole cliched hard-boiled coach thing. Blech.

Also, and maybe this detracted from the experience a tad, I was one of about four men in a fairly packed theater. And about half of the crowd was under 14 or so. I think I would have stuck out less at Akeelah and the Bee. Wearing a feather boa.

No comments: