Thursday, May 11, 2006

By Hook or by Crook

Due to a recent obsession with penny-farthings (...don't ask), James and I recently stumbled upon the late, great pre-Lynchian-level-of-obscurity gem known as The Prisoner. How have I not encountered this show before? For cereal guys, I totally hate when you come across something cool and think you're all cool but you're not because everyone and their monkey is already all about it. (Personal examples for me: Metric, pad thai) Unfortunately, the box set is $120, which, ouch.

I just didn't realize how many popcult references there are to The Prisoner, including everything from The Simpsons to freaking ReBoot. And I love old British weird things. Especially when they involve sci-fi inspired clothing and giant weather balloons and that sound effect that's like drumroooollll...boop! when something quirky happens that involves bad special effects. Ah, so good.

But yeah, if someone can supply the DVDs, I'm sure I can supply the rules to some sort of inebriation-based-game because it looks like it'll be very necessary to appreciate the show.

No comments: