Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Random Movie Thoughts

Here is a collection of movies I've seen recently with some fairly haphazard thoughts.

Rent

Pretty much what I expected. It was fun since it has been an eternity since I last listened to the soundtrack or even really thought of the musical. Some of the songs were a little on the unbearable side, and Allison and I managed to hold an extended conversation at the beginning of the movie out of sheer disinterest. Sarah Silverman is grossly underused, too. But not that bad, really.

Pretty Persuasion
Started off really funny and then an hour later, not so much with the funny. Evan Rachel Wood does a great job though. And I guess...that's about it. Interesting assortment of characters but not really that memorable or compelling. Ron Livingston's always nice to see, though.

Night Watch
The beginning was so violent I almost called it quits right there but now I'm glad I stuck around. The subtitle trickery was really clever and the whole style of the movie was just wow. One of the plot points in particular falls with a big, anticlimactic thud, but other than that it was way fun. I'll definitely see the sequels.

Eraserhead
Exactly what you'd expect from David Lynch's first big filmmaking effort and more. Weird, creepy, startling and confounding. And that baby thing is just gross.

Storytelling
Not Solondz's best, I have to say. Happiness and Palindromes, for all of their bizarre characters and plot turns, are much more entertaining and present something more cohesive. The first story is much more affecting than the second and I wish more time was devoted to the former. Strangers With Candy fave Tammi Littlenut has a brief appearance in the first half, too, which was a pleasant surprise.

No comments: