Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Black. Wha?

So it's become a weekly mini-tradition for me and my residents to watch FX's Black. White. and discuss everything from racism at an institutional level to omigod, this white woman is a raving lunatic. But I'm finding that I can't get over some logistics of the show.

Most significant: so I get that the families change races with makeup and go out into "real-life" situations (this is "reality" programming, après tout) where the people with whom they interact aren't clued in to the gimmick unless the family member outs her or himself. So, the big show-wrecking question for me is, what are they thinking the cameras are there for? I mean, I don't know how I would act in the situation, but if I saw someone with (a) suspiciously cakey skin, (b) a noticeable discomfort and (c) a bloody camera crew, I would be more than a little weirded out. What are these people thinking? There has to be some producer intervention, which kind of takes away from the show.

I suppose regardless of the logistics and the whole problematic nature of BW (Blackface much?), it's pretty entertaining, and it seems to get people talking. I'm more or less hooked and I'm curious as to where the show's going.

No comments: