Monday, January 30, 2006

Not About Quirky

Okay. I have to say it, only because it keeps getting positive press everywhere. I hate, hate, hate Fiona Apple's video for "Not About Love".

I just don't get it. If you haven't seen the video, it's just four minutes of chub comedian Zak Galifinakis dancing around and lip synching the song with Fiona in tow. It's not funny or witty or quirky. It's stupid and not entertaining and it doesn't do any justice to the song. This is the first video by Fiona that I actively dislike since she usually does a pretty good job. (Well, "Limp" was kind of feh I admit.) But she has done both simple videos ("Sleep to Dream", "Fast As You Can") and slightly higher concept or higher production videos ("Criminal", "Paper Bag", "O Sailor") of equal quality.

The video just doesn't feel right for the song, or for Fiona. I only comment on it because it's such a radical misstep for her in my opinion and no one else seems to agree.

No comments: