Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Summer Movie Bonanza: An Addendum

I thought last week's Snakes on a Plane premiere would be my final film viewing of the summer, foolishly, as I did not account for the next week I would be spending in PA. Another week, that is, of the kind of hometown ennui that one can only experience a week before the start of an academic semester. Unfortunately, this led me to seeing Accepted out of sheer nothing-better-to-doedness. Despite the occasional funny line and the supporting role of Strangers With Candy's Tammi Littlenut, the less said about the movie the better.

Fortunately, the next day I cleansed my gray matter with a late-night viewing of Little Miss Sunshine. (And all by myself, might I add, being the trudependent single gal that I am. Holla!) (God, I need to get some.) Little Miss delivered on all accounts, mostly because I don't remember the last movie, especially the last comedy I saw in which I cared so much about all of the characters. None of the characters are remotely perfect, though I should mention that Toni Collette always looks supercute and Steve Carell had a subtle foxiness I've never noticed before. (Anyone agree? No?) Everyone just does such a good job. Admittedly, I felt like it was going into mawkish land, but the bits of darkness and characters prevent a total mushfest. One of the best this year. Suck on that lemon, Accepted.

No comments: