Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Everyone's A Little Bit Racist

Oh, Crash.

Just when I thought you were done being everything from a popcult buzzword to a topic of contention in just about all my classes this past semester, here you go resurfacing from your deserved semi-obscurity to adulterate my life once again. Part of the program I work with involves showing The Best Picture Of The Year in order to stimulate dialogue and yada yada. I get it. It's a good film for that sort of thing.

I just feel so...so conflicted about the whole thing. I saw The Best Picture Of The Year last summer with Kaite and liked it and cried appropriately and all that. Then I joined the backlash, and then the exacerbated backlash following its win for Best Picture Of The Year. And now that I have to watch it (though thankfully not the whole thing) repeatedly this summer, I just don't know how to feel.

It's a good movie, and it's plenty entertaining. It raises issues people may not think about all the time. And I even find myself tearing up watching short segments of the movie. But then there's all of the uber-drama and the universalizing of racism and the subsequent downplaying of white racism against people of color and bling blah blee. I mean, I guess I don't hate The Best Picture Of The Year as much as I did a few months ago, and certainly not as much as Annie Proulx, and I feel guilty for not hating so much. Is there a support group for people who can't make up their minds about The Best Picture Of The Year and feel an obligation to have a firm negative stance on the film?

I don't know. I'll just blame Loretta Devine because I will watch anything that she's in. Plus, she was the only actress who more-than-made-up for Michael Rapaport's presence on Boston Public.

No comments: